Sunday, September 28, 2008

Rest from our Labors!

Last week I came to the realization of why napping was a good thing to do on the Sunday. I'd always considered taking a nap a way to make sure you weren't doing something you shouldn't! (I don't know if I should admit that.) Now, I have new appreciation for the Sabbath as a day to relax, renew, and rest--by sleeping, if necessary.
I've been burning the candle at three ends, so to speak, and was very grateful to sit at the General Relief Society Meeting last night and be fed spiritually. I was worried that I'd fall asleep because I'd been on my feet canning all day. Instead, I found myself renewed and able to do one more batch of peaches after the meeting. How grateful I am for today, Sunday, and a chance to truly rest from my labors.

But, speaking of labors, I know blog posts are a little dry without pictures, so here are a few views of the 'fruits of my labors'. Yesterday I did 21 quarts of peaches, 14 quarts of pears, 8 trays of prunes, made a new apron, delivered Avon, test-drove an Acura MDX SUV (bad sound system, but comfortable seats), bathed the dog and gave him a preliminary haircut, and attended the General RS Meeting, and finished up by relaxing with John as we watched UNLV get beat by Nevada--in between channel jumps.


My attempt at homemade prunes--gotta use that 'Italian prune' tree for something!









Though I keep canning and keep canning, the fruit doesn't seem to get any less.









A few of the many bottles of peaches and pears I've done this year.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Now, these pics truly show the "fruit of your labor". Everything looks beautiful. I know it seems it will never end, but oh, the thoughts of yummy fruit in the dead of winter is so worth it. BTW, I love napping on Sunday. It is my one afternoon when I can shut the door on the world (and my family) and just do for ME! Love you...

Sarah said...

Thanks for all your hard work! It sure all is wonderful and taste so great!