Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The Culprit

We finally discovered the reason behind my aching joints and total lack of energy/strength: asceptic meningitis, plus an allergic reaction. Not as horrible as it sounds--not life threatening...just life-style threatening. John and I were both diagnosed with the meningitis, and he went merrily on his way to recovery while I kept getting worse. Turns out all that sewing I did wasn't very good for me as our practitioner traced a chemical allergy to all the dyes in my fabrics, and all the residue of softeners, sizings, and such. So, into the washer went everything I owned. John was so good to me in keeping my laundry going since I didn't have the strength to go up and down the stairs so much. And fabrics all have to be pre-washed again. And I have to wear cotton or latex gloves if I'm working on something in process that has not been washed. Phew!
End result: I'm improving, finally. Still weak, but my joints don't ache and I'm regaining a bit of grace in my movements. Resting this week, being careful next week, then I'm ok to do what I want. That's just in time for a fun trip to North Carolina for John and me! We're going to visit his parents and take them on an excursion to the Biltmore Mansion in Asheville. Then I get to stay a few days longer, with my freshly washed fabrics, and Rachel and I will have a quilt-fest!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're finally getting better. Sorry about the fabric softner/dyes.

Lisa said...

So sorry to hear this, Cynthia, but glad you found the cause. I've never heard of this before, but I think you're the champion of quilting and sewing. Glad you don't have to quit completely. Bless your good John for doing laundry for you. Have a wonderful trip!

Rachel and Derrik said...

I'm so glad you figured it out. Now you can get better! Unfortunately, you will have to be careful with fabric stores from now on, but at least prewashing solves the problem. Do you also need to avoid perfumes and scented products??